Netflix believes that great stories can come from anywhere, and be loved everywhere. We also believe that more people want to see their lives reflected on screen and should have the chance to be heard. That’s why Netflix partnered with Scriptbank to launch the New Voices Script Contest in November 2020 and find the next generation of screenwriters.
Isi & Ossi
netflix new voices script contest
new boundaries. new voices. new stories.
New voices script contest
Netflix invited screenwriters from different backgrounds to submit their feature film proposal and complete a writing assignment. The Netflix New Voices team received no fewer than 550 movie plans. On February 5, 2021, the jury announced the screenwriters who have been selected to write a film script in the coming months. The five best scripts will receive a prize. Netflix is considering the two best scripts for further development into a Netflix Original movie. The selected writers are:
Abdelkarim & Asma El-Fassi, Dajo Leunge, Dorothee De Rooy, Elizabeth Francisco & Renata Parkinson,
Elvira Porcedda, Esra Ghilane, Gaby Cochavi, Joosje Duk, Luca Izeboud, Marcelle Arriëns & Frank Hartman,
Raoul Groothuizen, Samya Hafsaoui, Shanice Kamminga, Tofik Dibi, Yucel Kopal
Website open for talent to register and receive writing assignment.
Open: November 20th
Closed: December 17th
Contest page open to submit filmplan and writing assignment.
Open: December 3rd
Closed: January 4th
Video meeting with the Netflix New Voices team.
Meeting: December 7th
Closed: December 17th 18:00h
Deadline for submitting proposal and writing assignment.
Closed: January 4th 18:00h
Announcement of selected writers to write screenplays.
Selected writers will write screenplays with coaches.
Announcement winning scripts.
Frequently asked questionsGot a question? Get your answer.
- What does Netflix hope to achieve with this contest? Netflix believes that more people should see their lives reflected on screen - and these voices should have the opportunity to be heard. With the New Voices Script Contest we aim to find scripts and produce them so that we can showcase the diverse voices we know exist in the Netherlands.
- Can I still participate? No, registration and submission deadlines have passed.
- Are you looking for writers from specific backgrounds ? We would like this group of talents to be truly inclusive, regardless of race/ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation. We’re trying to stop the pendulum from swinging from one extreme to the other.
What level of experience are you looking for?
We hope to be surprised by talent we haven’t heard of yet, such as writers who come from other writing disciplines and therefore have fresh and surprising approaches and perspectives. Or new talented storytellers who work in other cultural structures or contemporary artistic fields, who find it a challenge to tell their stories on a platform like Netflix.
We also welcome writers with a training in film or screenwriting who have already made their first steps in the industry, and who have interesting and urgent stories to tell
- Is this contest open to writers outside of the Netherlands? Writers need to be based in the Netherlands or the Caribbean part of the Netherlands.
- Who will select proposals and writing assignments? The jury consists of Shenin Lebrun (creative producer ROSE stories), Ernie Tee (script editor, script coach, film teacher), Gwyneth Sleutel (script editor Scriptbank and talent scout Nederlands Film Festival), Annemieke van Vliet (producer Fiction Valley), Derk-Jan Warrink (producer Keplerfilm) and Janey van Ierland (acquisition manager and co-productions Netflix Benelux).
- What does Netflix consider a promising script? Netflix’s number one priority is to entertain the world, which is achieved by producing scripts that entertain with great stories driven by great characters. We also like scripts that explore themes and have something to say. Don’t confuse this with having to write some deep, dark drama. To the contrary, the best of all genres usually have a message to deliver about humanity.
- Is there a working grant to develop a first script? The writers who advance to the second round will receive a working grant of € 5,000: € 2,500 at the start and € 2,500 on delivery of the script. Selected writers will also be provided with a script coach to help them write their script.
- What is the prize for the 5 winning scripts? Netflix honours the most promising scripts with a prize: two scripts will be awarded € 25,000 and three scripts € 5,000 (on top of the working grant).
- Does Netflix intend to produce the selected scripts? This contest is a first step to discover writer and talent, and will lead to first draft scripts. If Netflix wants to continue development it starts conversations with writers.
- When will the 15 winning proposals be announced? This announcement will take place on the 5th of February (not on the 25th January, which was previously communicated).